Friday, October 14, 2011

I feel like I should say...

I feel like I should say this: I don't like the protest culture. I really, really don't. I grew up in Boulder, and for as many signs as I saw held up on the side of the road that said something worthwhile, there were twice the number supporting something inane and unimportant that only someone with trust-fund money would care about. In a climate like that, it's hard to support something like a protest. There are so many associations between protesters and the ignorant, dogmatic and idly wealthy that--even if you do have a legitimate point--it's hard to take a protest seriously.

But that's the problem. If there's one thing we should take seriously, it's our right to protest. I don't care if you think that the people who do it are worthless (I mean, some of them might be. We can't all be perfect, right?) But if you care about an issue, say something. Don't dismiss your right to speak because you don't like some of the people who use it.

Your message is your responsibility. If you don't like the image of the protester, it's your responsibility to change it. If someone you hate has something to say, that doesn't mean you should hate speaking. If you have something to say, say it.

Don't leave the talking to the people you disagree with. They'll just win the argument.

No comments: